On Wednesday, Shelby County Mayor Lee Harris will present his budget proposal, expected to include a funding plan to renovate the Regional One trauma center.
With an unanimous vote last month, the board asked Mayor Harris to do so, while also approving an amendment I proposed, which itemized five conditions for moving forward:
1. Before another dime goes to Regional One, the county must secure match funding from the state or other sources.
2. If there are increased fees, the budget must also include property tax relief as well as spending cuts.
3. The proposal must include a Public Safety Fund (to pay for the action steps itemized in the Crime Commission’s safe community action plan, as previously discussed here).
4. The administration must perform an exhaustive search for alternatives to a wheel tax increase.
5. The mayor must take the plan on the road and share it with citizens, so the public knows what is being proposed.
Here’s what the text of the amendment looked like:
More to come.